Hi all. I’m sure that many organisations are finding that morale is generally low as a result of fear and anxiety. Much of this is a result of circumstances outside of our control. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of ways to boost morale when faced with unprecedented external pressures and uncertainty?
Hi Georgina, yes! There are so many ways to boost morale, but if you’re the only one doing the boosting, you have to approach it in a structured manner. Are you looking for more surface level boosts that are quicker, more extrinsic, and easier to pull off, or are you looking to set up a deeper flywheel of positive culture? If it’s just you, you have to do a gap analysis and see what’s the biggest and most important priority to tackle first.
But here’s some tips and ideas:
- Re-establishing psychological safety in the team
- Regular and timely 1-1s
- Collaborative 1-1 agendas
- Quarterly Career Conversations
- Documenting action items and praise
- Refreshing Task Setting Rituals
- Implementing New Task Completion Behaviors
- Clarifying Virtual Communication Channels
- Celebrating Virtual Touchpoints
- Reducing Micromanagement
- Implementing Regular Gratitude
- Celebrating Auspicious Events
- Shared Music Playlists
- Social Events like Coffee Hours, Murder Mysteries, and Wine Tastings
- Virtual Social Spaces like Video Games or Networking Groups
Send me a note if you want to talk more about them!
Thanks for your reply @Learning_Whisperer