Try our Diversity & Inclusion Starter Kit. Sign up for free today

Communities of Practice within an Organisation

Hi All,

I’ve recently commenced a piece of work that aims to understand what capabilities our organisation will need for the future, with the desired outcome to be some kind of road map for future L&D initiatives.

A theme that I keep coming across is that as an organisation, we have a fair chunk of the capabilities that we (think we) need for the future, but we don’t have an effective way of sharing that information with different parts of the organisation.

For example, we have some great Project Managers who would love to share their knowledge with junior/aspiring project managers/ staff who work on projects, but they don’t currently have a structured forum in which to do so.

As an L&D partner, I want to develop some kind of community of practice for a few key job families across my organisation. Does anyone have any experience doing this and tips/tricks or resources that might be helpful?

Hey Hannah, welcome :smiley:
There are a number of ways to approach this.
You can do things like book clubs (discussion groups), mentoring matching programs, encouraging people to write content for the internal network or to produce their own lunch and learns. This helps to surface the topics that are of interest and are desired. It’s almost like a research project for a more concrete L&D program.
I’ve used all of these methods and seen great engagement but it’ll depend on your organization/people.
Communities of Practice would be a great banner umbrella to put these activities into so that people understand the context for the activities.
Additionally, you should consider that organic, on-the-job learning can be very powerful and therefore, some kind of ‘pair programming’ equivalent for project managers could be something to explore. Perhaps having a senior and junior on each project and encouraging regular retrospectives, 1-1’s, documenting of learning.

Thanks for your reply Rach! Some very helpful suggestions.