Does your company have a dress code?

I spent my first 15 years in banking and accounting and we had to wear suits and ties. The last ten years I’ve been in tech and hoodies/t-shits are more common. Whilst I wasn’t that taken at the time (when I was in the bank), on reflection I appreciated the suit (more formal dress) requirement. It meant we all showed respect to each other through dress. It also meant we new when the day ended (ie. we changed our clothes). If I had a meeting with the queen I would wear a suit not a t-shirt so why not give my colleagues the same respect??

Anyway - all companies seem one or the other with nothing in between. Anyone have any different policies to help everyone dress well and respect one another??

1 Like

Hmm, I think Dress code can definitely signify respect, but I also think it comes down to a matter of how much the dress code will contribute to the employee comfort. I’m familiar with more than a few people who were so excited to be rid of their ties and work suits that it was practically ritualistic for them when they shifted jobs into somewhere with a more relaxed attitude.

Plus it always frustrated me when an employer decided to generously allow casual dress for a day.

This study talks about the impact of casual work attire.

3 Likes

When I first started out, it was suits, high heals and make up every day. Now, I dress how I feel and I am more productive than I was when wearing expensive suits and spending an hour a day getting ready for work; the extra hour in the morning is definitely a plus!

I believe respect is something earned over time through the work you do with your colleagues rather than how you dress. Yes, like you @BatmanRay if I were to meet the Queen I’d likely dress to the occasion. But to work on a computer or be in meetings each day, I’d rather wear the attire I feel most comfortable in, be it a suit or a pair of jeans.

2 Likes

I worked in banking and professional services and while the move away from suit jackets and ties and the introduction of casual Fridays was great progress in banking the best dress code i have experienced was in a prof services firm which had a ‘dress for your day’ code. The idea being you dressed appropriately for what you would being that day - e.g. client meetings versus a hackathon or workshop

1 Like

I agree with @DebMavric in that respect is earned through how you behave and communicate with others, as opposed to how you dress. Of course this has its limits, but I think that as long as people look neat / tidy (and aren’t wearing anything ‘offensive’), then they should be able to wear what they like in order to express themselves. Feeling comfortable and secure is conducive with doing great work, so why not equip everyone as much as we can?

1 Like

So if you met the queen - what would you wear? I often think dress is about those I meet rather than myself.

What do think about when determining what to wear?

If I could choose - I’d dress as Batman every day :stuck_out_tongue:

The clothing has absolutely nothing to do with ‘respect’ and seems another outdated view to me. I meet with my CEO regularly wearing a t-shirt and jeans and the output from the meeting is what I’m judged on, not whether I’m in a suit or not.

Clothing doesn’t equal culture.

1 Like

The best dress code I ever read was…dress appropriately.

Two words and it says it all. Most people know what is appropriate and for the occasional confused soul, a little help should do the trick.

2 Likes