How appropriate is 'Big Brother' in the workplace & what are the implications for employees?

It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU - George Orwell, 1984

How far is too far? Would you have an RFID implant in your hand to track conversations and movements?

“Over the last few years a Stockholm co-working space called Epicenter has gone much further and holds popular “chipping parties”, where people can have RFID-enabled rice-sized microchips implanted in their hands.”

Read more about this topic and comment below:

How does it feel to be watched at work all the time?

Really interesting conversation! On a personal note, I would not be comfortable working in an environment that utilized this level of surveillance. Autonomy is important to many (if not most) individuals and part of that is being in a workplace that trusts me to complete the work expected of me. Long story short - NO I wouldn’t have an RFID implant in my hand :blush:

2 Likes

I agree with you @anonymous7, the thought of my movements being tracked and conversations monitored is astounding!

2 Likes

The real question is, is it already too late for you to object? It’s legal to monitor employees, and risk analytics can do that. There’s also research that indicates that people change their behaviour if they think they’re being monitored (duh!). This is but another compelling reason for companies not to use surveillance.

1 Like