Interview Training

Hi Everyone!

We recently conducted company-wide interview training and covered topics such as legality, unconscious bias, behavioral vs. situational questions, structured interviewing, interview prep, etc.

How have others have structured similar trainings and/or what topics do you feel are most important to cover?

Also wondering if there are any ideas/proven examples on how to follow up on interview training, to make sure your interviewers are incorporating these tools into their process (particularly with regard to interview prep and structured interviewing)?

I would be very excited to hop on a call and discuss ideas live.

Thank you!
Danielle

3 Likes

Congratulations! Sounds like you’re off to a great start with the trainings you’ve recently implemented. Based on what you shared, it appears you have the fundamentals covered though I’m curious if you’ve also incorporated content on running ratings calibrations and how to effectively share feedback with the hiring manager(s) without influencing other interviewers.

In my 15 years of focusing on hiring and interviewing (and training lots of people in the process), I’ve gotten great feedback when I’ve tailored trainings to different personas. For example, what I focus on with hiring managers extends to topics like how to create unbiased, captivating job posts and powerful interview questions along with how to run hiring kickoff meetings to get interviewers aligned on expectations and best practices. For interviewers, I’d focus more on the core topics that you’ve already mentioned such as structured interviewing and asking meaningful follow-on questions to dive deeper with candidates.

To get a measure of how well the training is getting incorporated into the actual process, you can run a short, anonymous/confidential follow-up survey with the various interviewers to ask which pieces they’ve incorporated into their interviewers and what components they’d like additional training on. Although it can be a bit time consuming, you can also co-pilot various interviewers and observe how well the interviewers are applying what was covered in the trainings and provide guidance to those in need of some coaching. Of course, I always like to follow-up with job candidates (both those that move forward in the process and those who don’t) to find out how the experience was for them, what they thought of the process and interview questions, and whether they walked away feeling unclear about the interviews or what to expect next. Finally, don’t forget about what objective metrics you can access that may reflect improved process quality: higher offer acceptance rates, improved onboarding/new hire training scores (reflecting better skills fit & role expectation alignment), better performance from those hired through the new process, etc.

Let us know your thoughts and how things progress once you’ve had some time to see the impact of your new trainings!

One method we used when I was with Google was to collect detailed interview notes from each of the interviewers as well as the interviewers ratings. Over time, Talent Acquisition and People Operations could see the quality of questions and the consistency of ratings from interviewers. This was not only helpful for ensuring people were consistent, but we could also correlate the questions and ratings agains future performance.

While at Gallup, one of our services was conducting structured selection interviews for our company customers. The people conducting the interviews were trained to listen for specific answers that we had researched as being predictive of high performance. In order to ensure interviewers were being consistent, we recorded the interviews and had senior interviewers review the recording to ensure the interviewers were all rating answers in a consistent way.