Learning programs and demonstrating success

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations or insights into performance and learning analytics tools that they utilise, specifically around capabilities mapping and measuring employee knowledge.
We are looking for the ability to measure the outcome of L&D training programs, as well as to document the impacts of learning across a wide range of courses. We are not looking at a full-blown Learning Record Store, but situation-specific tools to measure learning.

Any recommendations that you can send on would be very much appreciated.
Matthew

2 Likes

Hi, Matthew. I’ve used different tools with different organizations. At the more advanced end, you can look (perhaps for inspiration) at Visier Learning, that pulls together various data sources to measure outcomes of training programs, with a focus on business results. You could also look at tools specializing in competency-based assessment and mapping that integrate with learning systems, such as Fuel50, Lexonis, and TalentGuard. They can for instance have a leader validate if the employee has in fact demonstrated the competency they are expected to have developed from the training. I hope that helps!

Hi @m_hall, I think the tool will depend on the kinds of insights you want to have. I gave similar advice to a partner I’m working with on a webinar, but a fancy tool just lubricates the quality of the research you’re doing. Excel can give you incredible insights if you know what questions to ask. Here are some avenues to connect that L&D experience with business outcomes:

~Engagement survey responses against performance metrics. For example, comparing (anonymized) employees who give positive culture feedback on things like, “My organization lives according to their values” and “I am excited to work at my organization” against people who give lower responses that are performing similar work. Usually Sales numbers are easy to compare: Do reps who feel connected to culture hit quotas faster or better than people who report less connection? Customer Success numbers play well here too: do Support/Success reps get better customer satisfaction/NPS scores if they’re connected to the culture? I’ve seen this cited as a dollar value: “$45,000 of renewals have had a problem in the past year that was solved by a support rep who scores high on culture feedback questions & got a high CSAT on that specific issue.”

~Retention numbers/exit survey responses. Who stays and who leaves? Can you prove that people who leave are misaligned with corporate values/ people who stay are aligned? Even a “22% of voluntary turnover self-reported/manager-observed misalignment with values according to xyz responses” would be compelling.

~Onboarding and new hire retention. Can you connect new hire satisfaction on exit surveys with 90 day retention? If you overlay % of time spent during onboarding on values-related activities, it can be a cool data point that gets integrated into showcasing a broader onboarding calibration strategy. Not many people know what data is available to improve onboarding effectiveness, but a content airtime mix can be used just like an A/B test…though I can imagine things haven’t been so consistent the past few months.

~ You could brag about Glassdoor reviews that are relevant, showcasing how it influenced recruitment. “One year ago, problem X about our values was cited on Glassdoor. We did intervention Y. Here’s results Z.”

~ If you’ve done a specific project that was in alignment with your values, like leveling or a DEI campaign, you can use the pre/post data on that initiative to tell a story.

~Qualitative stories, testimonials, and a narrative are all good sources too. A classic I-hated-my-last-job-but-here-I’m-crushing-it story from a high-potential is gold.

Proudly sponsored by Culture Amp.