Culture First 2021 — Join us for our first-ever virtual, free event to create a better world of work — Register today →

Looking for Leadership Skills Metric for Quarterly Evals

Hi all!
I’m looking to add a metric for our managers’ leadership performance to our quarterly evaluations, and I’m having a hard time because we have a small team (less than 50 employees company-wide). I’ve stayed away from using department engagement scores as our departments are so small, and have considered using some kind of 360 summary instead. What metrics have you used with success? Or, are there benefits to using the engagement or 360s?
Thanks!

Great question Hannah. I’m guessing that you will get many many answers to this as it is hard to nail down two or three key performance indicators.

I would suggest that you go back and look at the organizational strategy, explore what the strategic thrusts are at this time and the objectives that have been created. Then ask yourself the question, who do our leaders need to be to achieve this strategy? Generally this is going to be in tight alignment with your core values, and they should integrate into some form of quantifiable measure.

We do a large number of leader ship three sixty reviews . I would encourage you to stay away from web based three sixties . focus on interview based three sixties , that are very contextualize it relates to your organizational goals . he’s generally take twenty minutes to thirty minutes per interview and a competes by peers, bosses and supervisors.

If you would like to discuss further I’m happy to do that with you. You can book a time here www.perspect.ca

Hi Hannah, I’m not sure if this is still an area of interest, however I am now using an efficient, robust survey to measure leader impact that quantifies business impact and not just perceptions to a model. The leader gets direct feedback (as long as their team is larger than 3) and all the feedback is aligned/linked to business KPI’s (sales, turnover, safety performance, projects, etc.) The underpinning framework focuses on Psychological Safety for individuals and teams and the metrics tie give immediate ROI benefits. Happy to talk further if you are interested.

3 Likes

Hi Hannah, better late than never! Something to consider is the impact leaders have on the development of the people they lead. Are direct reports being coached, receiving timely, high-quality feedback, are they preparing people for promotion, are they impacting the top or bottom line, are they developing their own skills, are they collaborating and building high-performance teams, do they represent the values of the firm, and/or are they building an inclusive culture.
Happy to share more. Brian Calendly.com/Brian-0929

Proudly sponsored by Culture Amp.