Measuring Wellbeing

Has anyone measured wellbeing in their offices to decide which health+wellness programs are important/relevant to your teams?
What questions have you asked?

Hey @Mayra_Best - @chloe, our resident expert on all things wellbeing is milking the cows in New Zealand at the moment but I’ve had the chance to learn about how she approached designing our employee wellbeing survey at Culture Amp.

There are 5 key areas that we focus on measuring in our wellbeing survey and a lot of this is built on the research of Dr Aaron Jarden’s ‘Me We Us’ model. If your ambition is to build wellbeing into how you do things at your company, it requires more than just understanding and addressing how individuals are doing. Establishing a culture of wellbeing requires deliberately building the right structure or ecosystem rather than simply focusing on individuals. This means that you need to address things such as the company’s commitment to wellbeing, culture norms, manager support and any programs or initiatives in place.

Here are some sample questions from Culture Amp’s wellbeing survey and how they can help you establish your baseline and move into choosing the components of your strategy.

Company: Is your organization dedicated to employee wellbeing?

Sample questions:

• [My company] demonstrates a commitment to the wellbeing of employees
  • I believe employee wellbeing is a priority at my company

Use answers to these questions when presenting to your executive team and leadership. The percentage of employees who agree to each could be a wakeup call, and this is a great question to measure change over time so you can see the impact of your wellbeing strategy as it grows.

Culture: Does your culture support employee wellbeing?

Sample questions:

• We are genuinely supported if we choose to make use of flexible working arrangements
  • Our culture encourages a balance between work and family life

This section of the survey will help you understand if employees feel supported by the company when it comes to wellbeing. If there is disagreement that your work culture encourages a balance between work and family life, this could become an area of focus for your initial wellbeing strategy.

Manager: Do your managers care about wellbeing?

Sample question:

• My manager genuinely cares about my wellbeing

If scores for this question are particularly low in your baseline survey, you’ll know that raising awareness about wellbeing among managers is critically important before launching your wellbeing strategy.

Individual: How are employees doing in personal health and wellbeing?

Sample questions:

• When I am stressed I feel I have the support available to help
  • I usually feel I am making progress at work

These questions can be particularly enlightening through comments or employee focus groups. Use insights from the individual-related questions to help plan future wellbeing programs that address any low-scoring questions.

Programs: Are our initiatives of value?

Sample question:

• I believe I would get the most value from these wellbeing initiatives (list and ask to select up to 3)

If this is your first wellbeing survey get employees feedback on initiatives you are considering to set yourself up for success. You might learn that people are very interested in one but not another, or that value varies by team or department. Employees might also provide comments to help you improve programs before they’re launched, making them more successful over time.

I hope this helps and I’d love to hear more about what other companies are doing :smile:

2 Likes

This is amazing Toby! Thank you!
I really like the holistic approach towards wellbeing.

That’s great Toby!
@Mayra_Best When implementing programs, I think it’s also great to start out with pilot programs, get a measure of the utilization and then survey people to see if they thought the program was valuable.
It’s also good to get an idea of the general utilization of programs. You’ll find that certain programs, like EAPs, can tend to have low utilization rates in general, so it can be a matter of setting realistic expectations about what participation might be like or understanding how you can internally market your programs to get the participation levels you’d like to see.